Sunday 17 February 2013

Donk day afternoons

I've drifted back into microstakes no limit holdem again, partly out of a need to distract myself from health worries and partly out my insane need to be good at things, to win basically. I have had several big sessions this weekend dodging min bets, bluff shoves, 4bet flats with 64o you name it. I have luckily run better than ever before and turned my downswing around which is nice. An interesting point to note about my win rate is that it is unsustainably high, and that I am now running at around expected value, after running way over it for 10,000 hands or so. I get the feeling a spell running under expected value may be long overdue, as is a drastic cut in my winrate.

Examples of my luck include backing into a full house holding 44 and stacking 2 players simultaneaously: one holding trips, and the other with the underfull made up of the case 3 and the case 4 on a 3394 turn card! I seriously expected to stare down an overplayed pair of 10s vs the overfull when we got it all in, but luck prevailed this time and the two loose-passive fishes got sent to the rail. I also managed to spike a river King calling all in with KK on a 64x board when 64o shoved me on the flop. This is despite me telling myself not to call fish shoves without top two pair or better!

I need to make some serious improvements to my game since I am basically waiting for strong hands and then playing them very hard. I see a lot of players using this style to poor effect at the next level up so I need to learn to slow down and have different gears of play depending on my opponents.  For now though I am happy again to spend the odd sickly afternoon playing poker for pointlessly small amounts of money just for the sake of winning;)


No comments:

Post a Comment